Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Brrrrr

I am training with a friend to do a 5k on March 13th called The Shamrock Shuffle.  I have run a 5k race before, but the last one was September 26th, 2010 and I have since stopped training/running/working out entirely.  Anyway, we had started this program back in November, and the weather got colder and it started snowing and we both decided to hibernate for that part of the winter.

Now that the holidays are over, we're back on track!  Brandon and I went for our first run together (Outside!) this past Thursday the 20th, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  We ran on the Starkweather Creek Path, running a distance of about 2 miles, alternating one minute running, 1 1/2 minutes walking for 20 minutes.   By the end of our run, my legs were so cold I couldn't feel them, and when I began to warm up they were the most painful during the thawing period.

Day 2 (Saturday the 22nd) for week one was a different experience entirely.  I ran by myself, on a treadmill, in my basement.  I used to think running on a treadmill was way easier, because you can't really stop moving, or else you fall off.  When I started running outside I found having houses, trees, people, and animals to look at is far more entertaining.  At least on a treadmill I can tell exactly how fast I'm going, and set my target speed.  I decided to do the running parts at 6mph, which would be the 10 minute mile pace I'm aiming for.  It felt pretty good, and I did the run portions at that speed for 7/9 runs.  The other two were 5mph. 

I finished this run with an ab workout consisting for supermans, planks, side planks, and metronomes.  I am pretty sore today, but I feel good about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment